[Bristol-Birds] Hiwassee Field Trip

  • From: jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 11:01:17 -0500 (EST)

Hello Birders!  The weather has certainly been unpredictable!  However, we are
planning to go to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge on Saturday!  The last time I was
there we had over 40 species including Sandhill Crane (many), Bald Eagle,
Bonaparte's Gull, Green-winged teal, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck, Bufflehead,
Hooded Merganser, Ruddy Duck, etc.
If you would like to ride with me, I can take 3 or 4 people depending on
whether my wife can come or not.  You also can follow me on the road down
there, if you wish.  We will meet at Ingall's in Colonial Heights, just off I
81 on Exit 59.  If you want to go on your own, the fastest route is I 81 south
to I 40 and go west past Knoxville.  At exit 352 (by Kingston) go south on
Route 58 for about 47 miles.  Near Georgetown turn right onto Route 60.  Look
for sign to turn right to Hiwassee Refuge and Pavilion.  We will meet at the
Pavilion at the end of that road. After some time at the pavilion, we will
follow some other local roads to access other good viewing areas.  If you need
to call me beofre we leave, call 423-349-6440.
John Moyle