[Bristol-Birds] Hiwassee Field Trip

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 21:17:01 EST

Two members (John Moyle and Roy Knispel of Johnson City) braved the weather
forecasts to go to Hiwassee.  There was no rain and no snow for the entire day,
and traffic was very light!  We arrived in Hiwassee by 11 a.m. and discovered
that it was Cherokee-Crane Days at the refuge.  This meant many free,
informative handouts.  We managed to see 40 species and return to Tri-cities by
5
p.m.  The list follows:  Snow Goose (plus Blue variation) 12, Canada Goose 50,
Gadwall 5, American Black Duck 4, Mallard 5, Green-winged Teal 2, Canvasback 3,
Ring-necked Duck 50+, Bufflehead 6, Hooded Merganser 24, Ruddy Duck 5,
Double-crested Cormorant 2, Great Blue Heron 6, Black Vulture 12, Turkey
Vulture 7,
Red-shouldered Hawk 1, Red-tailed Hawk 2, American Kestrel 3, Sandhill Crane
(several hundred), Killdeer 3, Spotted Sandpiper (probable) 4or 5, Bonaparte's
Gull 50+, Ring-billed Gull 30, Rock Pigeon 40, Mourning Dove 6, Belted
Kingfisher 3, Red-bellied Woodpecker 1, Pileated Woodpecker 1, Blue Jay 2,
American
Crow (many), Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1, Eastern Bluebird 2, American Robin 10,
Northern Mockingbird 3, European Starling (many), Song Sparrow 5,
White-throated
Sparrow 7, Dark-eyed Junco 5, Northern Cardinal 12, House Sparrow 4.

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.