[bristol-birds] Hidden Valley Lake, Osceola Island, Holston Mt., Backbone Rock

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 23:29:57 -0400

Bristol Birders,

My wife, Michelle, and I enjoyed a day of birding the Bristol area
today - we even found a couple of life birds.  We started the day by
making a loop around Hidden Valley Lake in Washington Co, Va.   We
were looking for the Veery and it took us about 60 seconds to find
one after getting out of the truck.  We saw several during the day
and got some great video.  Our second life bird was just about 100
yards down the road - an Acadian Flycatcher.  We also got our best
ever looks at Canada, Magnolia and Black-throated Blue Warblers
while hiking the road - these birds were just over the bank in the
rhododendron.
        We then hiked the loop around Osceola Island at the Weir Dam.
Yellow-throated Warblers and Wood Ducklings were the highlight of
that loop.  After spotting an Osprey at the Rt. 421 bridge, we made
our way up to the Appalachian Trail on Holston Mountain.  There we
got our best look ever at a Blackburnian Warbler - on the ridge at
about 3800 feet.  After a short hike on the AT, we made our way up
Shady Valley to Backbone Rock.  There we saw Black-throated Green
Warblers and heard the Louisiana Waterthrush.
        We made one final stop at Elk Garden in Russell County to check the
mud hole for wading birds and to look for the Willow Flycatcher.
Only Killdeer were at the mud hole and we heard the Willow but did
not manage a positive ID on this potential lifebird.  Maybe next
time.  Overall it was a great day of birding.

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958