[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Unaka Mt. Saw-Whet Owl Trip--Additional Information

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 18:39:42 -0400

In answer to Kathy Noblet's question about vehicle requirements for the Unaka
Mt. Owl Trip Saturday, June 13, Joe McGuiness offered that passenger cars
should be able to make this trip, unless they have somewhat low clearance.  We
will go up from the Unicoi side and return the same way.  There is a stretch
nearer the Erwin end of the road that could be troublesome, but we won't go
that far.  Below is repeated the information on meeting and meal times and
directions:

Meet at 6:00 PM at the Forest Service Office in Unicoi  -
 Exit 32 from Interstate 26.
Coming from the north, turn left,  at the Next STOP, turn left, Forest Service
Office is first driveway on the right
From the Forest Service Office, we will go to the Maple Grove Restaurant nearby
to eat.  (Here no reservations are necessary.)

After dinner, we will reconvene at the Forest Service Office at 7:30 p.m. and
car pool for the trip up Unaka Mountain.  Anyone wishing to go on the trip but
not eat with the group may meet at the Forest Service Office at 7:30 p.m. to
join the car pool.

Roy Knispel, Pres.
Herndon Bird Club
Phone: 423-202-7802