[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Field Trip Results--Jan 18

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:52:18 -0500

Six club members--Rick Knight, Joe McGuiness, Kathy Noblet, David Kirschke, Jim
D. Anderson, and Roy Knispel--participated in the club field trip to Western
Washington County on  Saturday, January 18.  Despite cool breezes, especially
noticeable when in open areas such as along Keebler Rd., we had good birding
and an enjoyable lunch at Mountain View Restaurant.

Our list of 47 species included:
Canada Goose
Am. Black Duck
Mallard
Gadwall
Great Blue Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Northern Harrier
Red-tailed Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Am. Kestrel
Peregrine
Killdeer
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared Dove
Rock Pigeon
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
E. Phoebe
Blue Jay
Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
W. B. Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Loggerhead Shrike
Am. Pipit
Horned Lark
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
Robin
Mockingbird
Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Towhee
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Junco
Cardinal
Eastern Meadowlark
Goldfinch

Highlights included Northern Harriers at Keebler Rd. and in the Bowmantown
area, a Loggerhead Shrike on a wire on Precision Blvd. just as we began the
trip, 78 Gadwall at Precision Blvd. Pond, and a great aerial display of a
Peregrine pursuing a Horned Lark (the Lark escaped) on Keebler Rd.

Thanks to Rick Knight for leading the trip.

Roy Knispel
Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS