[Bristol-Birds] Herndon Bird Club Banquet and up-coming April Club Meeting

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 21:43:40 -0400

ANNUAL BANQUET
The Lee & Lois Herndon Chapter of TOS will have its annual banquet Friday,
April 1,  at Lynch's Farmhouse Gallery and Gardens, 121 Covered Bridge Lane,
Unicoi.  Covered Bridge Lane is off Unicoi Drive.

Come to the Gardens at 6:00 p.m. or thereabouts to enjoy the gardens and
birding habitat at the grounds.  The dinner will be served about 7 p.m.

Tom Hunter, Lebanon, VA, and Michele Sparks, Bluff City, will be the banquet
speakers.  Their presentation will be on the Clinch Mountain Golden Eagle
Group. The group consists of members of the Bristol and Russell County(VA) Bird
Clubs. Group members are participating in a study of Golden Eagles with the
Eastern Golden Eagle Working Group and the Virginia Department of Game and
Inland Fisheries. The purpose of the research is to determine the population
and migration patterns of Golden Eagles wintering in the Appalachian Mountains.
 The presentation will be on work done this winter by the Group.

Registration and payment for the banquet is required by March 29.  The cost of
the meal is $15 per person, which should be sent to our club treasurer:

Ms. Darla Anderson    (Phone:  423-282-8839)
3428 Berkshire Circle
Johnson City, TN  37604-8911

The menu consists of BBQ Pork Sandwich, Baked Beans, Fried Apples, Brownie and
drinks.  If you prefer, a Baked Potato may be requested instead of the BBQ Pork
Sandwich.  If you prefer the baked potato substitution, please indicate this
when you send your check to Darla.

April 1 is a little earlier than we have sometimes had the banquet at Lynch's,
so colder weather could be a consideration.  Pat Lynch has promised to have a
fire in the large fireplace in the banquet room, so it should be warm, but
bring a sweater or jacket just in case.

All are invited and welcome--at last year's banquet,  Barney and Pat Keffer
located a Prothonotary Warbler on their way into the grounds.  Most of the
attendees were able to view this warbler before dinner was served.  Recently,
there was a Ross's Goose on the grounds.  While there are no guarantees, the
venue lends itself to enjoyable birding and socializing as we gather for the
meal.  I hope to see you there.

REGULAR APRIL CLUB MEETING
The club's regular meeting for April will be Tuesday, April 5, at 7:00 p.m. in
the Science Building (regular location) at Milligan College.
The program will be given by club member Gary Wallace, member of the Biology
Department at Milligan College.  Gary will show and discuss preserved bird
skins from the collection of the department.  He will concentrate on Warblers,
Vireos, Hawks, and other species we may hope to see on the spring count.

Agenda items for the meeting include a report from the nominating committee on
officers for the coming year and planning of the Spring count.
The CLUB SPRING COUNT will be held Saturday, April 30, in the five county area
of NE Tennessee (Washington, Carter, Sullivan, Johnson, and Unicoi Counties).

Preceding the April 5th meeting, some club members will meet at Bellicino's in
Johnson City at 5:30 p.m. for dinner and socializing. Bellicino's is in Johnson
City on South Roan in the Food City parking lot.  All are invited to the
meeting and to Bellicino's to eat before the meeting.

 Roy Knispel, Pres.

Lee and Lois Herndon Chapter, TOS

Phone:  423-202-7802

Please call me or send email if you have questions or need more detailed
directions to Lynch's.