[Bristol-Birds] Help with scope purchase

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:58:22 +0000

Anita & Michelle:

Buying binoculars and/or scope from a reliable, trusted and proven source is
probably more important than price. That doesn't mean everyone can throw money
around or is willing.

You should search on the internet for the company Eagle Optics.  Go to their
website and you will see a section about scopes. There you can not only find
almost every brand and model in a wide price range.   Scopes are expensive.
There are probably no scopes that are not carried by them that I would buy.

Buying a scope is like buying an Easter outfit.  All of the accessories are not
made by the same people and all needed items are not included in the price of
the scope.

Most scopes include the following components (what I termed as accessories):

1 - the scope itself without the eyepiece.

2-  the eyepiece which determines the magnification (30X) is an idea power for
most nature, hunting, etc.  The eyepiece can cost nearly as much as the scope :(

3-tripod. It has to be tall enough, stable in wind and stout enough to hold the
weight of your scope. It should be quick and easy to set up and of a weight you
can comfortably carry.  Unless you have an exceptional camera tripod, the kind
most of us own for cameras are not useful at all for heavier scopes.

4-you may have to purchase a mounting head separate because this goes between
the tripod and scope and serves for easy mounting and fluid motion when on
moving objects (deer, hawks, eagles, shorebirds and waterfowl).

FINALLY -- Get the 1-800 number for Eagle Optics from their website and call
one of their sales reps who are excellent.  I have found them well prepared to
help you decide what you need, what you want and what you can afford.  You can
call them to find out what is best for you and to explore your needs.  They
will walk and talk you thru the process.  Even if you decided what you want,
you don't have to purchase during your call.  You can think it over and later
call back with your order.  They will get it to you zip in time for Christmas.
If you are not satisfied, they will let you return and get full refund.  I sent
back a pair of binoculars not too long ago.  Chris O'Bryan damaged a pair of
binoculars.  He sent them back for serious repair estimate.  Eagle Optics sent
him a new pair without comment or charge.

The Eagle Optic site has self educational material you can read on their
website to explain scopes.

I hope this helps a little.