[Bristol-Birds] Hawkins County Ravens

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:25:08 -0500

Two Common Ravens were putting on a show at Phipp's Bend in Hawkins County
today.  The two were actively engaged in an aerial courtship display, flying
high and then diving and tumbling through the air for hundreds of feet.  Both
were seen to chase away an adult Red-tailed Hawk that mistakenly ventured into
their territory. They seemed very attached to one of the gigantic old concrete
structures and at one point both were observed exiting a large pipe structure
embedded on the interior side.  Never heard of ravens nesting in cavities, but
these two are prime candidates in my opinion. The concrete structure (not the
even larger old cooling tower structure where I saw them a couple of months
ago) is behind a large fence with NO TRESSPASSING signs liberally placed around
the perimeter of the area.  One bird was actively moving around, calling
loudly, and carrying food back to the structure, but I could never see a nest
as the bird was flying through a large gap in the side to the interior which
was behind the fence.  The other bird was rarely visible.  I'll try to visit
again in a week or two to see if I can provide any further information.

Rick

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee