[Bristol-Birds] Harry LeGrand and Merrill Lynch birding Pond Mnt. Ashe Co., NC 12-13 May 2015

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 17:46:19 -0400

On May 12-13, Merrill Lynch and I covered much of the upper portion of Pond
Mountain, in the northwestern corner of Ashe County (i.e., the NW corner of
NC). Nearly all of the birds below refer to birds on the breeding grounds,
except as mentioned in the comments. The highlights were FOUR separate
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers on territory, though we didn't hear drumming --
just the call and observations. The next best bird was a singing Hermit
Thrush, from a seemingly pure hardwood stand, though maybe there are some
rhododendrons or other evergreens -- but there is no spruce or fir. We did
have about 3 Vesper Sparrows, but most of the top is too overgrown for them;
Song Sparrows and Towhees abound, to the exclusion of just about anything
else. (Vespers like it grazed, with very short grass, as in meadows/pastures
along the western edge near the TN line.). We listened hard for
Golden-winged Warblers, but either the elevation is too high, or some factor
is missing -- in the younger trees just down from the fields on top. Alder
Flycatcher was also not heard, though possibly they haven't arrived. Both of
these two have been reported rarely in the past, but I have never had them
on the mountain. But, the hardwood forests seem to have the typical breeding
bird fauna of high elevations in the northern counties, though for some
reason only sapsuckers and Northern Flicker were tallied among the
woodpeckers (e.g., no Downy, Hairy, or Pileated; we suspect all are up
there.). We did have a notable migrant -- a Merlin zipped by us!

Here are the two day's list, in one e-mail:

Pond Mountain - Braun tract 2, Ashe, US-NC May 12, 2015 10:30 AM - 3:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

2.0 mile(s)

Comments: Mostly walked 1-2 jeep tracks just inside the TN border

33 species

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2 calling birds, one seen; not drumming, but
presumably on territory; maybe first summer records for Ashe County

Northern Flicker 1

Eastern Wood-Pewee 2

Acadian Flycatcher 1

Blue-headed Vireo 8

Red-eyed Vireo 12

Blue Jay 2

American Crow 8

Common Raven 2

Northern Rough-winged Swallow 1

Barn Swallow 2

Carolina Chickadee 2

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

House Wren 1

Veery 4

Hermit Thrush 1 singing on territory, in northern hardwood forest; no
conifers

American Robin 8

Ovenbird 6

Black-and-white Warbler 2

Northern Parula 3

Chestnut-sided Warbler 10

Black-throated Blue Warbler 6

Black-throated Green Warbler 4

Canada Warbler 3

Eastern Towhee 4

Field Sparrow 3

Vesper Sparrow 2

Dark-eyed Junco 12

Scarlet Tanager 5

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 6

Indigo Bunting 5

Brown-headed Cowbird 1

American Goldfinch 5

Pond Mountain -- SE portion, Ashe, US-NC May 13, 2015 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

Comments: Covered the central and southeastern portion of the Pond
Mountain Game Land

39 species

Turkey Vulture 5

Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 2 Single calling birds, not drumming, but
certainly on territory; very rare in Ashe County in the breeding season

Northern Flicker 1

Merlin 1 One zipped by us low in flight over the fields/meadows at the
top of the mountain; dark back and wings and very strong flight eliminated
American Kestrel. Heading NE in obvious migration.

Eastern Wood-Pewee 1

Blue-headed Vireo 4

Red-eyed Vireo 7

Blue Jay 1

American Crow 5

Common Raven 3

Tree Swallow 1

Barn Swallow 2

Carolina Chickadee 1

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

Veery 3

American Robin 2

Gray Catbird 1

Brown Thrasher 3

Ovenbird 3

Black-and-white Warbler 3

Common Yellowthroat 5

Hooded Warbler 1 probably near upper limits of breeding range -- 3800
feet

Chestnut-sided Warbler 12

Black-throated Blue Warbler 6

Black-throated Green Warbler 1

Canada Warbler 5

Eastern Towhee 15

Chipping Sparrow 2

Field Sparrow 10

Vesper Sparrow 1 disappointing number; bald vegetation is too high (1')
for the species;

Song Sparrow 25

Dark-eyed Junco 10

Scarlet Tanager 6

Rose-breasted Grosbeak 6

Indigo Bunting 6

Brown-headed Cowbird 2

Pine Siskin 20 migrants; do not breed on the mountain

American Goldfinch 10