[Bristol-Birds] Harlequin Duck at Kingsport

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:48:28 -0500

Jan 31, 2013
South Fork Holston River (just behind Riverfront Restaurant on Netherland
Inn Road)
Kingsport

A number of birders were treated to a Harlequin Duck late this afternoon.
The bird was found by Brookie and Jean Potter, a couple of ace local
birders, on the South Fork Holston River along Netherland Inn Road in
Kingsport. Everyone got good looks at the bird through binocs and scopes
and a number of photos were taken. I'll attach one photo. The bird was
initially on the bank when I arrived. It make a trip out on the raging
river to forage and eventually was swept past us downstream out of sight
and had not been relocated when I left near dusk.

--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee