[Bristol-Birds] Hampton Creek Cove, Carter Co Tn, Blue-winged Warbler building nest

  • From: Michael Sanders <HAWK036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birdclub <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Buchanan County Birdclub <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 19:30:23 -0400

Gary Cooper and I went to Hampton Creek Cove in Carter Co, Tn this morning, 05-01-2011. While scanning for migrants, we came across a Blue-winged Warbler which Gary noticed was carrying nesting material. We were able to photograph the bird carrying nesting material and later observed it bring material three more times.  We also were able to determined where it was building. I obtained photos of the nest and backed off the area. I called Wallace Coffey who gave advice on what other information was needed. Rob Biller was in the cove and had received a call from Coffey. Biller was just a row of trees over from us, so we met up and were able to obtain more data. Biller may post more on location etc. We watched for about 30-40 minutes when another bird flew to the nest with the Blue-winged Warbler. I was able to obtain a photo of the second warbler after it came off the nest (see below).  The bird flittered away after this picture was made and did not return.  From this photo, the second bird appears to be a female Golden-winged Warbler.  Coffey came to the cove as we were leaving and was shown the nest and area.  The Blue-winged flew in with nesting material but we saw no sign of the female Golden-winged while Coffey was present. Today's species list is below along with some pics. I am curious to see if the two warblers reproduce young.

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA

PHEASANTS, GROUSE, AND ALLIES
Wild Turkey
NEW WORLD VULTURES
Turkey Vulture
HAWKS, EAGLES, AND KITES
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
CUCKOOS
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
HUMMINGBIRDS
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
WOODPECKERS
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
VIREOS
Blue-headed Vireo
CROWS, JAYS, AND MAGPIES
Blue Jay
American Crow
CHICKADEES AND TITS
Carolina Chickadee
THRUSHES AND ALLIES
American Robin
MOCKINGBIRDS AND THRASHERS
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
NEW WORLD WARBLERS
Blue-winged Warbler
Golden-winged Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Canada Warbler
BUNTINGS, SPARROWS AND ALLIES
Eastern Towhee
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
CARDINALS AND ALLIES
Scarlet Tanager
Indigo Bunting
TROUPIALS AND ALLIES
Red-winged Blackbird
Baltimore Oriole
SISKINS, CROSSBILLS, AND ALLIES
American Goldfinch
--------- STATISTICS ---------
Species seen - 32 Families w/seen species - 16
Printed May 1, 2011 ~ MIKE data set
Page 1