[Bristol-Birds] Guy McGrane birding AT at Hump Mountain, Avery Co., NC 6 July 2015

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:59:31 -0400

Guy McGrane birding

Appalachian Trail

Hump Mountain

Avery County, NC

Vesper Sparrow (6) "At least 6 on this section of AT from Bradley Gap to
Hump Mountain. More likely about 10 birds, but some were quickly
disappearing into tall grass. Good views of white outer tail feathers, pale
brown color, and a couple were singing. These birds seem to prefer staying
right in the worn down line of the AT, and most were flushed from the trail
itself as we hiked. We made no special effort to find these birds, so there
may be many many more at this location."

Moderator's Note: Only about a 1,000 ft. east of Tennessee state line.