[Bristol-Birds] Guesses Fork - Buchanan County, VA

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:00:22 -0700 (PDT)

Bristol Birders,

  Michelle and I spent about 6 hours birding the reclaimed mine sites at
Guesses Fork in Buchanan County this morning.  We were hoping for a
Golden-winged Warbler but it appears they may have been pushed out of their
habitat by the Blue-winged Warblers over the past several years.  We found 7
Blue-winged Warblers and one beautiful Brewster's Warbler but no Golden-wings
were found.  Last year we were only able to locate one Golden-wing where
several had nested in previous years.

  Cerulean Warblers were found everywhere during the hike - we found at least
12.  Thirteen species of warbler made an appearance during the hike.  We also
found our first Summer Tanagers, Chats, Common Yellowthroats, and Catbirds of
2007.

  Zonotrichia sparrows are still holding out on the mountain-top with 6
White-throated Sparrows and 2 White-crowned Sparrows spotted on the hike.

  The best bird of the day was a Greater Yellowlegs found at a large mud hole
on top of the mountain that has produced shorebirds in the past.  A Solitary
Sandpiper walked in front of the Yellowlegs giving us a nice size comparison of
the much larger Yellowlegs.

  No cuckoos or new flycatchers were seen - maybe this week these residents
will start to arrive.

  A total of 67 species for the day were noted (list below).  For those
interested I've posted some hike pictures with pictures of butterflies,
flowers, insects, etc. at:
  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/guesses4

  Ed and Michelle Talbott
  Grundy, Virginia

  Greater Yellowlegs - 1
  Solitary Sandpiper - 1

  Cerulean Warbler - 12
  Blue-winged Warbler - 7
  Brewster's Warbler - 1
  American Redstart - 10
  Yellow-throated Warbler - 4
  Yellow Warbler - 2
  Black-and-white Warbler- 5
  Hooded Warbler - 8
  Black-throated Green Warbler - 2
  Worm-eating Warbler - 3
  Common Yellowthroat - 2
  Ovenbird - 3
  Yellow-breasted Chat - 3

  White-throated Sparrow - 6
  White-crowned Sparrow - 2
  Field Sparrow - 2
  Song Sparrow - 4
  Chipping Sparrow - 6
  Savannah Sparrow - 1
  Summer Tanager - 2
  Scarlet Tanager - 4
  Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 8
  Wood Thrush - 4
  Blue-headed Vireo - 1
  Red-eyed Vireo - 7
  White-eyed Vireo - 4
  Yellow-throated Vireo - 3
  Eastern Towhee - 9
  Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 5
  Indigo Bunting - 1
  American Robin - 12
  Eastern Bluebird - 1
  Gray Catbird - 1
  Brown Thrasher - 1
  Tree Swallow - 2
  Northern Rough-winged Swallow - 4
  Barn Swallow - 1
  Carolina Chickakee - ~6
  Northern Cardinal - 5
  Mourning Dove - 4
  Tufted Titmouse - 4
  Turkey Vulture - 3
  Sharp-shined Hawk - 1
  Red-shouldered Hawk - 1
  Red-tailed Hawk - 4
  Blue Jay - 3
  Carolina Wren - 4
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak - 2
  Goldfinch - 20+
  White-breasted Nuthatch - 3
  Northern Flicker - 2
  Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1
  Downy Woodpecker - 1
  Eastern Phoebe - 1
  American Crow - 4
  Red-winged Blackbird - 3
  Brown-headed Cowbird - 9
  European Starling - 7
  Common Grackle - 4

  At Weller Yard:
  Osprey (eating a fish on a snag about 100 yards from house)
  Rock Pigeon
  Mallard
  House Finch

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.