[Bristol-Birds] Grindstone Jackpot

  • From: vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 22:20:25 +0000 (UTC)

Spent Fri night at Grindstone Campground.  On Sat AM, I birded the closed
Oppossum Loop and hit the jackpot!

Mixed warbler group very active and abundant  (blue winged warbler, magnolia
warbler, bl&wh, black throated green, chest-nut sided), rose grosbecks, family
of yellow bellied sapsuckers, etc.  30 bird species in less than 2 hours.

There is one warbler (at least it acted and was the size of a medium warbler)
I am not sure of and unfortunately I didn't have camera.

It has a dull yellow (no green or other tint) head and neck with no eye ring or
line and the breast and undertail coverlets buffy white.  Didn't get as good of
look at topside details other than gray.  Most importantly, I don't know about
wing bars.

I don't think it was a yellow vireo and looking at the Sibley guide it looks
most like a Verdin (don't laugh).  Any better ideas?

Vicky Frye

(PS the Birding at home near Saltville, was pretty good too this weekend.  25
species there including Rose Grosbecks also. I will have to check the ponds out
tomorrow)