[Bristol-Birds] Greater and Lesser Scaup comparison

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 10:51:34 -0500

March 6, 2014
S. Fork Holston River, greenbelt along Netherland Inn Road
Kingsport, Sullivan County

Discussions come up from time to time about how to distinguish Lesser Scaup
from Greater Scaup. I was lucky this morning and got a digiscoped shot of a
Lesser and Greater Scaup male side by side for comparison. The Lesser Scaup
male is in the foreground. There was only 1 Lesser Scaup mixed in with 31
Greater Scaup when I photographed them this morning.

Rick
--
Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee