[bristol-birds] Great White Heron / terns at Musick's

  • From: Wallace Coffey <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 1-A Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 21:45:58 -0300

Thursday (8/15) and today (Sat. 8/17) Rack Cross and
I had what we believe is  the GREAT WHITE HERON
again at South Holston Lake.

Black Tern movement has been strong for about 10
days and flights seem to be fairly heavy throughout
the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways, according to
internet reports.

Rack and I had five Black Terns from Musick's Campground
on Thurs. and four more today.  There were two Forester's
Terns there Thurs. and one immature today.  You can
expect to see either species when you bird there.  They
don't just always fly right past your face.  The Black Terns
are very dark against the background of the trees and,
most of the time,  you have to search for them with binoculars.
Also be sure to check for either species perched atop the
two bouy markers over in Virginia.

I had a Greater Yellowlegs Thurs. and two Spotted Sandpipers.

The heavy rain this evening may have driven some good
shorebirds down on the Brown's Dairy Farm mudflats, the
mudlfats at Spring Creek (Va. 75) and possibly around
Musick's Campground.

The Great White Heron has been seen fairly close on a
couple of appearances.  It was not seen for several days
this last week until it showed up again Thurs.  The bird
is actully staying deep in coves near Washington County
Park, acorss the lake from Musick's.  When it does that,
it is well out of sight.

I was able to make several more digital photos of it by
shooting thru my spotting scope.  The yellow legs and
be seen clearly.  One day as it flew past at very close
range, the feet appeared more orange than yellow but
that could have been from all the redclay med in the
area.

Wallace Coffey
Bristol

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958