[Bristol-Birds] Great Horned Owls

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:19:34 -0700 (PDT)

After we returned home from the BBC Picnic last night, I was unloading the car
when I heard a very strange bird call. It was answered by another call nearby.
They moved into the trees in the edge of our yard and continued to call. It was
a very loud chatter and a sort of squeal or squawk. I thought it was an owl but
I had not heard that particular call before. Laverne came outside and listened
but she could not identify it either. After they moved on into the woods we
went back into the house and searched the internet for owl calls and finally
found the call. They were Great Horned Owls doing what was called a nervous or
excited chatter. A very interesting sound.

Tom
Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA