[Bristol-Birds] Re: Great Egret

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 21:49:10 -0500

Clear DayGreat Egrets at Stuart's Pond

Ed,

That was a great report for the Great Egret at Stuart's Pond.  As
far as I know, that is the latest migratory date in the Mountain
and Ridge and Valley region for the western part of Virginia.  There
have been a few scattered winter birds in that region.

     Photo of Worley's 51 egrets

Dave Worley received a call from the landowner of Stuart’s Pond
in Rosedale VA on October 31, 2004. He was told that there was
a large number of white birds at the pond. Dave arrived shortly at
the pond at 9:30 AM to find 51 Great Egrets in the trees around
the pond. The birds were evidently migrating through the area
and decided to rest at that body of water. The birds remained there
for the rest of the day.  Carolyn and I got there in time to see
the birds and I think Tom Hunter did also.

You brought back pleasant memories for us.  Thanks for the
report, Ed.  Tell Helen we said hello.
Let's go birding. . . . .