[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Herons on nest Fort Patrick Henry Dam

  • From: "Michelle" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 23:19:06 -0400

I am sure many are aware of the Great Blue Herons at the Fort Patrick Henry Dam
in Kingsport, TN as I do recall someone else posting info earlier in the
spring.  I just wanted to mention that I stopped by there today and counted a
total of 10 nests between two trees all full of babies which are close to the
size of mom and dad.  I observed one adult fly to a nest and feed her two
young.  She approached the nest with that slow rythmic flight we expect from
these large leggy birds.  As she landed in the nest all three wobbled about
flapping their wings and barely staying in the nest.  Graceful flight...not so
much on the landing!  The rookery is located on the dam side of the Ft. Henry
Rd. bridges.  It is considerably smaller than the rookery that was present on
the opposite side of the bridges two years ago.

Michelle King
Sullivan County
Kingsport, TN