[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Heron, Simerly Creek Road

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 09:58:43 -0500

On Saturday, Dec. 6, at about 5 p.m., I watched from my car as I returned home
and noticed a Great Blue Heron soaring. As I watched, the bird began making
tighter circles and deployed landing gear to gain a perch atop the Blue Spruce
in the yard at my parents' home on Simerly Creek Road in Hampton, Carter Co.,
TN.? T

he heron made a natural and attractive tree topper. The pond was frozen over,
but the creek would still have afforded fishing opportunities.

The fish pond and creek do attract Great Blue Herons each fall and winter, but
this is the first one I have seen in several weeks.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN