[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Heron Rookery in Saltville

  • From: RonEHarrin <RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Steven Hopp <shopp@xxxxxxx>, Mike Hagy <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Randy & Mary Sue Smith <maryran@xxxxxxx>, Marty/Jo Ann Huber/Detta <jomart2u@xxxxxxxxx>, Diane Harris <dmharris@xxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <Betty.Edmondson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>, Sam Evans <samevansathome@xxxxxxxxx>, "vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx" <vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Morgan <edandhelenmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx" <petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>, Judith Wiley <wyliejc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, John Brenner <johnbrenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Shearer <shearer44@xxxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <betty.edmondson7@xxxxxxxxx>, "Sanders, Dennis (VDOT)" <Dennis.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Edward Morgan <tredegar75@xxxxxxxxx>, Matt Fleenor <matt3@xxxxxx>, Rob Morgan <morganforestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ramsey White <vagrace@xxxxxxxxx>, Jill Scott <jillhscott2@xxxxxxxxx>, Amanda Bishop <amandab@xxxxxx>, Birding Kingsport <birdingkingsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 14:28:50 -0400

Last Wednesday, Sam Evans, Ann Evans, Joan Harrington and I were birding and touring in the Saltville, VA area. Decided to check to see there was still a Great Blue Heron rookery along the North Fork just east of town. To our pleasant surprise we found an active rookery with approximately 35 nests, most had birds present!

This site is located along Hwy 91 just east of the town limits as you are going towards Broadford. Look for the rookery high in some big trees across the river on your right maybe a fourth of a mile or so after you leave Saltville . *The shoulder of the road is narrow at this point, and there is no safe place to pull off. Drive on past and you should find a spot to park and then walk back. Be careful along this stretch of road!!*

We also spotted a large kettle of mostly Black Vultures (approximately 100--a few were Turkey Vultures) just north of the salt ponds.

Ron Harrington

Bristol, VA