[Bristol-Birds] Great Blue Heron Fledglings, 9 Loggerhead Shrikes

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 11:18:42 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday, July 3, I went to Elk Garden to check on the Great Blue Heron
nestlings. There were 3 on the second nest. I checked the first nest that was
built and did not see any young ones. They were a week to 10 days older than
this brood. During my wanderings through Elk Garden and Clifton Farms Road I
saw 9 Loggerhead Shrikes. There were 6 juveniles and 3 adults and the good
thing is that I did not see shrikes in 2 of the areas where they have been all
summer. Apparently, it has been a good reproductive year for them in our area.
I have attached a photo of the handsome threesome on the GBH nest.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA