[Bristol-Birds] Great Backyard Bird Counts

  • From: jpmoyle18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:48:19 -0500

I ddi 3 backyard bird counts this weekend.  The first was all day on Friday at
my home and some adjacent properety.  Saturday morning I did the South Holston
River from Wilcox Drive south and west to the Rotherwood Estates and then back
to Wilcox on the Sluice.  Satruday afternoon I spent a disappointing afternoon
at the Meadowview.  Here are my results:
1.  Our Home:  Wild Turkey 19, Black Vulture 5, Turkey Vluture 2, Cooper's Hawk
@ (1 male and 1 female), Red-tailed Hawk 2 (a pair), Killdeer 1, Mourning Dove
8, Great Horned Owl 1, Red-bellied Woodpecker 1, Downy Woodpecker 2 (male and
female), Hairy Woodpecker 1 (male), Northern Flicker 1, Pileated Woodpecker 1,
Eastern Phoebe 1, Blue Jay 5, American Crow 3, Carolina Chickadee 5, Tufted
Titmouse 3, White-breasted Nuthatch 2, Brown Creeper 1, Carolina Wren 8,
Eastern Bluebird 3, American Robin 4, Northern Mockingbird 2, European Starling
15, Yellow-rumped Warbler 2, Eastern Towhee 1 (male), Chipping Sparrow 7, Field
Sparrow 1, Fox Sparrow 2, Swamp Sparrow 6,  White-throated Sparrow 26,
Dark-eyed Junco 5, Northern Cardinal 13 (5m and 8f), Purple Finch 1 (male),
House Finch 1 (female), American Goldfinch 34.  37 Species.

2.  S. Holston River and Sluice:  Canada Goose 147, Gadwall 8, Mallard 65,
Northern Shoveler 1, Hooded Merganser 2, Double-crested Cormorant 9, Great Blue
Heron 2, Black-crowned Night-Heron 2, Black Vulture 6, Turkey Vulture 1,
American Kestrel 1, American Coot 21, Killdeer 12, Spotted Sandpiper 1,
Ring-billed Gull 86, Rock Pigeon 26, Mourning Dove 14, Belted Kingfisher 2,
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4, American Crow 8, Carolina Chickadee 5, Tufted
Titmouse 3, White-breasted Nuthatch 1, Carolina Wren 3, Eastern Bluebird 3,
American Robin 26, Northern Mockingbird 5, European Starling 73, Cedar Waxwing
12, Yellow-rumped Warbler 13, Song Sparrow 10, White-throated Sparrow 1, House
Sparrow 4.  33 Species.

3.  Meadowview Golf Course:  Mallard 6, Wild Turkey 1, Great Blue Heron 1,
Turkey Vulture 1, Red-tailed Hawk 1, Killdeer 2, Rock Pigeon 74, Belted
Kingfisher 1, Red-bellied Woodpecker 1, American Crow 3, Carolina Chickadee 4,
Tufted Titmouse 2, Carolina Wren 4, Northern Mockingbird 3, Song Sparrow 16,
Swamp Sparrow 9, White-throated Sparrow 8.  17 Species.

John  Moyle                            Glen Alpine Road
       Kingsport/ Sullivan County