[Bristol-Birds] Gray-cheeked Thrush, warblers, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol-Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Butternuts <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:55:02 -0400

April 30, 2005

Greeneville and Tusculum, Greene County

Today brought the year's first bona fide wave of transients and summer
residents to Greene County, and I was lucky enough to have time to surf
it.  When my list dried out, I found I had recorded the following:

Green Heron;
Solitary Sandpiper (2, including one in a rain puddle inside the
Greeneville city limits--very unusual);
Chimney Swift (16);
Eastern Wood-Pewee;
Great Crested Flycatcher (3);
Tree Swallow;
House Wren (11);
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (3);
Veery;
Gray-cheeked Thrush (the first April observation I've recorded);
Wood Thrush;
Gray Catbird (3);
Brown Thrasher (2);
White-eyed Vireo (2, including one first-year bird still retaining a
dark eye);
Yellow-throated Vireo;
Red-eyed Vireo (4);
Yellow Warbler (2);
Chestnut-sided Warbler;
Cape May Warbler (2);
Palm Warbler;
Blackburnian Warbler;
American Redstart;
Common Yellowthroat (3);
Hooded Warbler (5);
Yellow-breasted Chat;
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2);
Indigo Bunting;
Orchard Oriole (3);
Baltimore Oriole.

I also observed the following winter residents still hanging around:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (5);
Yellow-rumped Warbler (7);
Swamp Sparrow;
White-throated Sparrow (11);