[Bristol-Birds] Golden-winged Warbler, siskins on Comer's Creek (Grayson Co. VA)

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 18:44:23 -0400

Headwaters
Comer's Creek
Grayson County, VA

This afternoon, I heard and observed a Golden-winged Warbler
in what seemed to be ok habitat in the headwaters of
Comer's Creek, just west of  Comer's Creek Baptist Church and
cemetery in Grayson Co., Va.,  The bird was in a Black Locust
near the road.  The elevation is about 3560 feet.  Despite
frequently birding at this location in past years, it is my first of
the species in this vicinity.

The next closest bird I have seen was near the solid
waste collection station along Laurel Valley Rd. northeast of
Konnarock in Washington Co. That was at least two decades
ago or more.

Near the trailhead of Comer's Creek Falls Trail, two
Pine Siskins were heard and seen at about 3,480 feet elevation.
The area has mixed conifers but none of the Canadian-types.

Let's go birding.....