[Bristol-Birds] Golden-winged Warbler, etc. (Greene Co., TN)

  • From: Alice Loftin / Don Miller <pandion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 08:43:42 -0400 (EDT)

September 26, 2009
[posted September 27, 2009]

Greeneville's fall count was held on Saturday the 26th. Heavy rain made
birdfinding difficult for much of the day, so I'm sure the final tally will be
disappointing in comparison with previous years. I spent over ten hours in the
field, battling steady rain over half the time, and managed to find only 66
species. Highlights included the following:

Blue-winged Teal (23)
Great Egret (2)
Black-crowned Night-Heron (3)
Osprey
Northern Harrier (2)
Red-shouldered Hawk
Solitary Sandpiper
Eurasian Collared-Dove (7, Mosheim , less than a mile from West Greene High
School)
Eastern Screech-Owl
Red-headed Woodpecker
Marsh Wren
Golden-winged Warbler (only my fourth county record; all have occurred in
September)
Northern Waterthrush
Savannah Sparrow (3)

Don Miller