[Bristol-Birds] Golden-winged Warbler and others - Compton Mt

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:57:09 -0400

Area Birders,
After the nice all day rain yesterday the birds were on the move here on
Compton Mt this morning. In the yard and field I found juvenile male and female
ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAKS and TN WARBLERS feeding on Giant Ragweed. MAGNOLIA
WARBLERS flitted among the backyard trees. A female BLACKBURNIAN and a 1st year
female BAY-BREASTED WARBLER were busy in the walnut tree.  PALM WARBLERS fed
among the Goldenrod and CHIPPING SPARROWS and EASTERN BLUEBIRDS fed in the
grass. SCARLET TANAGERS, GRAY CATBIRDS, CEDAR WAXWINGS and CARDINALS worked the
Poke berries at the top of the knoll above the front yard. Below the yard pond
in the experimental patch of weeds I left, after cutting out some invasive
plants, I found a female COMMON YELLOWTHROAT that made chip notes as it worked
its way up and down the plant stems.

I had been inside the house for just a few moments, when I looked out of the
kitchen window to see a female GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER only a few feet away in
the branches of the cherry tree. I grabbed the camera, but was only able to get
a couple of quick shots before the bird flew toward the taller trees at the
edge of the yard. One of the photos is decent and can be seen at

http://users.mikrotec.com/mayhorn/Goldwng/GoldwngP1.htm

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt (near Grundy)