[Bristol-Birds] Golden-Crowned Kinglet Nest

  • From: Mike Poe <mpoe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:22:24 -0400

Late Sunday  afternoon (7/11/04) Dexter & Lynda Newman and I were coming
down from the Roan Mountain Gardens in stealth mode ( Coasting with windows
down, sunroof open and engine off ) to listen for birds.  After hearing
several Winter Wrens, Veerys (or is it Veeries ?) Towhees, and
Golden-Crowned Kinglets we decide to stop and check out the Saw Whet Owl box
that is visible from the road.

While looking for activity at the box we noticed two Golden-Crowned Kinglets
with their beaks stuffed with insects.  The Sherlock Holmes in us figured
they must be holding onto these insects  for a reason so we tried to observe
where they were going and then noticed after visitng a certain area they
reappeared sans the insects (is there such a word as "insectless" ?).  After
some more observing we finally located what we thought could be a nest and
watched as twice a Kinglet hovered under the limb and then flew up into the
limb dissappearing where the supposed nest was.

For those that are interested the nest is sticking out over the shoulder of
the road from Carvers Gap up to the Gardens. (right hand side as you are
coming down from the Gardens).  It is very near the Saw Whet Owl box and the
large pointed rock with the hole in it that helps mark this location which
is not far from the Carvers Gap parking lot... wooden fence still visible.
It is in a spruce tree second limb up from the road about 15 feet high.
Looking at this long limb there is one other shorter limb that branches off
from it at about 35 degrees.  If you follow that branch back down to the
limb about 4-5 inches from the base of the branch you should be able to see
signs of the bottom of the nest.

We missed a good opportunity to see the nest up close and personal when a
large tour bus was coming off the mountain and after we had motioned it
around my car we took note of the ladder going up the back of it.  It would
have made a dandy viewing platform : )

Mike Poe
Holston Community