[Bristol-Birds] Re: Golden eagle diet preferance

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blueridgebirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:19:30 +0000

Harrol Blevins and other Blue Ridge Birders in Grayson Co VA and Western NC:

I am enjoying your discussion of Golden Eagle diets on both Blue Ridge Birders
and Carolina Birds list serves. I share most of your informal opinions.

We probably should not overlook the effects of the severe weather and extended
snow cover impact on the eagle's food source and hunting behavior in recent
weeks.  This might be causing them to be more active and more noticeable.

We have records of many Golden Eagles in Russell Co in SW Va dating back to
early 1940s and, I think late 30s.  A Bristol Virginia hunter/naturalist
several times reported to me Golden Eagles in Grayson Co during hunting season
in the late 1980s and 90s.

I banded and released a Golden Eagle on Roan Mt in Mitchell Co NC in the
mid-1960s.  A farmer had trapped it when it was killing newborn lambs in late
winter. A Golden Eagle has been seen  near Shady Valley in Johnson Co TN by
birders as it fed on a roadside deer kill. A Golden was seen by birders in the
1980s to drop from a soaring position at Clinch Mt in Washington Co VA to kill
a Groundhog in a roadway.

I have detail records for these observations.  Some have been published.

The eagles have been seen by local residents in Burkes Garden, Tazewell Co VA
as they were feeding on the after birth from sheep during early lambing.  We
saw a Golden hunting from a fence post in Burkes Garden last Nov. and watched
one apparently running about in a mountain pasture there a couple of years ago.
 We were convinced it was chasing small mammals.  It is not unusual to find
Bald Eagles in Burkes Garden in winter.  The carrion from deer (including
remains left from field dressing big game kills by hunters)  and cattle
dressing remains probably provide a food source for that species as well as the
raven and Goldens.

Ravens are expanding their populations throughout the low elevations and
nesting under 1500 it elevation in the upper Holston River drainage of NE TN.
They are also nesting in the Piedmont of NC.  The Bald Eagle had a successful
nest at South Holston Lake in Washington Co VA in 2009 and back at the nest
this winter.

Deer and Wild Turkey are in significant numbers everywhere -- even in the heart
of Bristol.  The Fox Squirrels are quickly spreading in an easterly direction
throughout all of our counties with open country up to at least 3500 ft or more
in Burkes Garden.  We believe the rapidly expanding Coyote population up to at
least the mid 3000 ft elevations of the Unaka Range of the Southern Blue Ridge
in Johnson Co TN are feeding on much the same staple as eagles, ravens, crows
and such -- deer must be a major factor everywhere.

 Coyotes have been seen feeding on a house cat in a residential yard in Bristol
TN.

A popular video on You Tube a year ago was a Golden Eagle (apparently released
by a hunting falconer) chasing down a deer running in an open field. The chase
wa at considerable speed and the Golden Eagle quickly caught what appeared to
be a grown doe and took it down for the kill in mere seconds.

Let's go birding . . .