[Bristol-Birds] Golden Eagle Records

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Helen Morgan <edandhelenmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 11:33:25 -0700 (PDT)

There has been some discussion over the last week on the listserves concerning
sightings of Golden Eagles in Southwest Virginia in the month of May. I would
like to add my experiences to the discussion. During the last 10 years I have
observed Golden Eagles in Russell and Tazewell counties on several occasions in
the month of May including on May 11 when I had both Golden and Bald Eagles. I
have seen Golden Eagles on 3 other occasions this month, May 13, 19 and 21.
The 2 late dates that have documentation are June 9, 2012 and June 20 1998. The
June 9th date was during the Russell County Bird Club's annual trip to the Cove
in Tazewell County. The field trip report along with a photograph can be found
at the Russell County Bird Club website.
The June 20, 1998 sighting was during the bird club's picnic and camping trip
to Beartown Mountain. Bob Riggs and I observed a Golden Eagle on that date. The
reference for that sighting can also be found at the RCBC website under
Newsletter Archive (July 1998). I have another record for a June 16 date but I
have been unable to locate the written record.

Tom Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA