[Bristol-Birds] Glade Spring CBC Results

  • From: RonEHarrin <RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:56:53 -0500

All: Here is the Glade Spring CBC results.

Ron Harrington
Compiler

*Glade Spring Christmas Bird Count (VAGS)
December 14, 2013*

*Summary: *On Saturday, December 14, 2013, fifteen participants counted *71 species*and *7,239 individual birds *during the Glade Spring CBC. The number of species ties the number counted last year, but the number of individual birds counted---despite several hours of cold rain in the middle of the day---exceeded the count for last year(5,638). No new species were seen on count day, but a *White-winged scoter*was observed by Peter and Amy Morgan on a pond near Exit 32, I-81, on December 17^th . This is a new bird for our circle. A Rare Bird Report was submitted and the siting was accepted by the regional CBC coordinator. (The pond is adjacent to the interstate exit, near the Greenway Creek Golf Course).

New high counts were recorded for Wild Turkey (181). Wilson's Snipe (8), American Crow (1,074), Winter Wren (6), and Pied-billed Grebe (6). The numbers on White-throated sparrows, White-crowned sparrows, Song sparrows, Cardinals, and Field sparrows were down considerably compared to last year. This may have been related to the weather conditions. Two *Virginia Rails, *seen for the first time last year, were again seen in Saltville. And we continued to pick up Eurasian Collard Doves (5th year in a row) in the Meadowview area.

*Count Week Birds: *White-winged Scoter, Barn Owl

*Species:*

Snow Goose: 1

Canada Goose: 258

Wood Duck: 3