[Bristol-Birds] GH Owl, Greene Co., TN

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:44:41 EDT

Thursday, 15 SEP 2005 at 7 pm I saw a possible raptor fly up and perch in a
tree near the Vulcan sand dredging operation on the Nolichucky River in Greene
Co.  When I got my binoculars on it I saw it was a Great Horned Owl.  It sat
facing into the dying sunlight in plain view across the field from where I
parked.  A local landowner stopped to look at it with me.  While we watched a
male
American Kestrel harrassed the owl, calling and diving at it.  The owl turned
its head to watch the kestrel but never moved on its perch.
Don Holt
Johnson City, TN