[Bristol-Birds] Fwd: URGENT CALL FOR ROCKY FORK HELP!

  • From: david kirschke <dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 07:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

David Ramsey <daramsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:36:39
-0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: David Ramsey <daramsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: URGENT CALL FOR ROCKY FORK HELP!

Dear Friends and Rocky Fork Supporters,

A full decade of very hard work for the preservation and permanent protection
of the largest and last unprotected wild place of its kind in the southern
Appalachians could be about to pay off. For all who have made saving Rocky Fork
the preeminent regional conservation goal of our time, this will be cause for
much celebration.

So before I ask one more time for your help in finally achieving this, I want
to express my deep, heartfelt gratitude and appreciation for all that you have
done to support this critical work. You have helped make sure that saving Rocky
Fork has been seen as the high priority, regional issue that it truly is.

We are now closer than ever to realizing our two long-standing goals:

1) Permanent preservation of Rocky Fork's extraordinary 10,000-acres of vital
watershed, unsurpassed wildlife habitat and stunning beauty.

2) Achieving a major national designation for the tract that will bring
substantial economic benefits to not only Unicoi County, but the entire
surrounding region.

But I must tell you that to actually achieve these goals, we urgently need to
send a positive, but loud and clear message to our three federal legislators,
Congressman David Davis, Senator Lamar Alexander and Senator Bob Corker.

The conservation purchase of Rocky Fork depends greatly on funding
appropriations from both the state and federal government. Immediately, we most
need to insure that Davis, Alexander and Corker give their full support to the
effort by requesting the necessary federal funding to complete the purchase.
Their failure to request this funding could mean the forever loss of this
amazing natural and national treasure, as the unrelenting, gated resort
developers stand waiting for us to fail.

It is absolutely critical that these three officials hear from us today,
tomorrow at the latest. Congress leaves for its one month summer recess next
week. Timing in the purchase effort requires immediate assurance of
Davis/Alexander/Corker support for the federal funding.

First, please call the office of each (extremely important because of the
impact a call makes and the time involved in security processing of mail) and
be sure to thank them for their leadership and support in the effort to
preserve Rocky Fork, and then express in your own words any or all of the
following 5 points. Please follow your call with a brief letter expressing the
same.

1) Rocky Fork is the last remaining unprotected tract of mountain land of its
size and kind in the southern Appalachians.

2) For generations, Rocky Fork, though privately owned, has been managed by
TWRA for public use and enjoyment for hunting, fishing, hiking, swimming,
wildlife viewing and biking.

3) Rocky Fork is now believed to have wildlife diversity greater than almost
any other place in the Appalachians. It is critical native brook trout,
Peregrine falcon and black bear range.

4) At least 10 miles of Rocky Fork's spectacular ridgelines form the now-famous
viewshed of the I-26 corridor entering NE Tennessee from North Carolina.

5) If Rocky Fork is designated as a national recreation area, surrounding
economic development via greatly increased tourism and more appropriate
residential and commercial growth will provide much-needed jobs and revenue to
Unicoi County and the surrounding area.

Please, once again, lend your help with this urgent matter and first call, then
write them immediately. The reward is just ahead if we all pull together one
more time to make our long-held wishes for preservation of this one-of-a-kind
treasure known to those who have the power to bring it about.

Below is the contact information for our three legislators, and you will find
this and much more at www.saverockyfork.org.

Thank you again.

Peace and blessings!
David Ramsey