[Bristol-Birds] Fwd: Ivory Billed Woodpecker Presentation

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 08:09:55 -0500

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:02:20 -0500
Subject: Ivory Billed Woodpecker Presentation
From: Corey Hilz <corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mr. Grigsby,

I would like to inform the Bristol Bird Club about an upcoming presentation on the Rediscovery of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker and Photographing Birds. It will take place on Friday, February 24, from 7-9pm at the Tysons Corner Marriott in Vienna, VA. This presentation is part of the Meadowlark Nature Photography Expo. Bobby Harrison will make the keynote address on this timely topic. Mr. Harrison is one of the first three people involved in the search to see and identify an ivory-bill in Arkansas in 2004. This led to an extensive effort to locate the ivory-bill which resulted in the announcement of its rediscovery earlier this year. He will detail his extensive efforts over the years to locate the "extinct" bird. He will also share tips and techniques for photographing birds.

I think this presentation would be of great interest to the Bristol Bird Club. I would appreciate if you could inform your members of this opportunity, as well as perhaps list it on your website and in your newsletter.

Further details about the presentation and Mr. Harrison can be found at: www.MeadowlarkPhotoExpo.com

WHAT: Rediscovery of the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker and Photographing Birds by Bobby Harrison
WHEN: Friday, February 24, 7-9pm
WHERE: Tysons Corner Marriott, 8028 Leesburg Pike, Vienna VA 22182
COST: $30 per person
Visit the event website to register and for further information: www.MeadowlarkPhotoExpo.com
We have negotiated a special rate with the Marriott for those wishing to stay overnight. See website for details.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need further information. Thank you in advance for helping us to get the word out about this exciting program!

Best regards,
Corey Hilz

Event Coordinator
Meadowlark Nature Photography Expo

********************
Hot on the Trail of the Ivory Billed Woodpecker
For more than 60 years, every potential sighting of an ivory-billed woodpecker was met with ridicule and scorn. But Bobby Harrison and Tim Gallagher refused accept the grim conclusion of most scientists that the ivory-bill was extinct. Together they traveled through the South, interviewing people who claimed to have seen this ghost bird of the shadowy swamp. And if a sighting seemed credible, they hit the swamp, wading through hip-deep, boot-sucking mud and canoeing through turgid, mud brown bayous where deadly cottonmouths abound. On one of these trips, checking a recent sighting by an Arkansas kayaker, an unmistakable ivory-bill flew past at close range in front of their canoe. This sighting-the first time since 1944 that two qualified observers had positively identified an ivory-billed woodpecker in the United States-quickly led to the largest search ever launched to find a rare bird and ultimately to the announcement this past April of the rediscovery of the species. Bobby will tell the story of the ivory-bill's near demise and miraculous resurrection and discuss how the Grail Bird was rediscovered.

Bobby Harrison will also share his secrets to award-winning bird photography with the audience. You'll learn many tips and techniques on how to capture winning images from those fast-flying birds we've come to love. Then, you can join us on Saturday and Sunday and sign up to photograph hawks and owls at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens.

Corey Hilz Photography
coreyhilz.com  <<http://coreyhilz.com>http://coreyhilz.com>
corey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

3405B S. Stafford St.
Arlington VA  22206
703.473.4618

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia