[Bristol-Birds] Fwd: Do Ugly Ducklings Wear Blue?

  • From: Hank Snow <mountainmeadows.snow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 09:16:01 -0400

Everyone remembers the famous Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of the
ugly "duckling" which grew up as the object of ridicule for its ungainly
appearance, yet it eventually metamorphosed into a beautiful swan. I think
about this story whenever I look into our bluebird boxes at the babies. At
first the youngest babies are so ugly that they are cute. Eventually the
babies grow into young thrushes which are handsome, but which do not yet
reveal the true extent of the marvel that is the male bluebird. The
incredible blue color of the back against the reddish breast is
incomparable and evokes my astonishment, no matter how many times I see
this wonder. It seems most likely that the females are responsible for this
unusual blue color by selecting mates over the eons with the brightest
blue.

Breeding all the way from Florida to Canada, bluebirds usually depend on
human modification of the original forest habitat, and provision of nest
boxes, so that they can forage in open spaces and yards. This seals the
bond with people and bluebirds seem to be happiest around human habitation.
Few other birds have provoked such sympathy that a society was created just
for their protection. Check out the NABS website and consider how you might
contribute to the preservation of this remarkable creature which provides
so much pleasure to us. The easier way to start is by putting up some nest
boxes, but be sure and provide protection against predators. The nest box
that I have found satisfactory is shown with a stove pipe baffle underneath
the box to discourage predatory snakes and mammals.

http://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/

Bill Dunson Englewood, FL, and Galax, VA
wdunson@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.galaxgazette.com/blogs

http://lemonbayconservancy.org/dunson_archives.htm

http://lemonbayconservancy.org/wildflower.htm