[Bristol-Birds] Fw: heron rookery

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 09:07:30 -0400

Last week I discovered what I believe is a previously unreported heron
rookery about one mile south of the Abingdon, Virginia town limits on route number 75 (Green Springs Road) which is about five miles from South Holston Lake as the Great Blue Heron flies. As I drove south on route 75 I noticed
six very large birds soaring over the "knobs" area.  I assumed that they
were vultures but I pulled off the road and looked at the birds through my
binoculars and realized they were herons.  Several of the birds landed on
top of the knobs where I could see at least eight nests, several of which
had herons standing on them.  I was surprised by the location as I did not
expect to see a rookery on a relatively high ridge crest.  Wolf Creek runs
near the rookery but the nests are by no means adjacent to this stream. The rookery is located on the west crest of the ridge top and is two miles south
of exit 17 on interstate 81.

Ed Morgan, Abingdon, VA

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------