[Bristol-Birds] Fw: brooding buzzard

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 15:00:56 -0400

From: Robert Spiegel
To: Wallace Coffey
Sent: April 27, 2009 10:57
Subject: brooding buzzard

I inadvertently scared a black vulture off her nest Sunday in a cave off
Benhams Rd., Bristol, Virginia Proceeding to a dig point deeper in the cave, I
noticed two eggs with mottled brown spots lying on the floor about 30 feet from
the entrance, well within the twilight zone. The only nesting material to speak
of was a few downy feathers. Forgetting the size of the eggs, which were
probably twice the size of our Grade A Large, I thought maybe a psychotic
chicken had laid them and then gone off to commit more craziness. I then
entered a very tight crawl, pushing a couple of buckets ahead of me. I had
trouble getting the buckets through at all and when I reached a four-foot drop,
I simply let them fall and roll. I poked my head out over the drop and saw a
very agitated vulture, wings spread and standing tall. I beat as rapid a
retreat as I could. When we emerged, five or six vultures left their roosts
around the cave sink, one after the other and circled around us. They seemed to
be keeping a close eye on us and at least one of them appeared to monitor our
flight back down the hill until we were a quarter mile away. We hadn't noticed
any vultures on this or any previous trip to this cave.

--robbie