[Bristol-Birds] Fw: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Question: Lack of Goslings?

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:47:23 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Stuart Kent Merrell
To: Va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: June 12, 2009 06:51
Subject: [Va-bird] Huntley Meadows Question: Lack of Goslings?

Hi all:

I noticed the times that I have gone to huntley meadows that there were very
few Goose nests,
let alone goslings.  In fact, only one was visible in the front part of the
marsh, and the last
I looked the egg appeared broken. I can theorize some causes but would like
some views
on this.

Hi water levels limiting nesting.

Pollution of some kind or another.  (Apparently, the Mergansers did all right,
although they are a much
smaller bird.)

Anybody?

Naturalist-at-Large,
Stuart Kent Merrell

Thank you for subscribing to Va-bird, a service of the Virginia Society of
Ornithology.  Please consider joining the VSO.
http://www.virginiabirds.net/