[Bristol-Birds] Fw: [TN-Bird] Hampton Creek Cove, Carver's Gap 5/31

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:25:28 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Hall
To: tn-bird
Sent: June 01, 2009 09:54
Subject: [TN-Bird] Hampton Creek Cove, Carver's Gap 5/31

Hi there,

thanks to the advice given by several of you in response to my post, I
had excellent  birding in the Roan Mountain area on Sunday. I started
at Hampton Creek Cove, birding along the gravel track from the parking
lot as far as the river crossing into the second field. I had really
great looks at singing GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLERS (2 males), and thanks to
Nora Schubert who put me onto the male BREWSTER'S WARBLER and nest.
His hybrid offspring have now hatched, as has the BROWN-HEADED COWBIRD
chick. The other warbler species I encountered were YELLOW, HOODED,
REDSTART, YELLOWTHROAT and CHESTNUT-SIDED. I also saw (and heard) one
each of ALDER, WILLOW and LEAST FLYCATCHER.

I got to a very windy Carver's Gap around noon. No Alder Flycatchers
were singing, but I heard PINE SISKIN and saw a single VESPER SPARROW
singing from the Appalachian Trail. A BROAD-WINGED HAWK and female
WILD TURKEY were seen on the drive back down into TN.

I've posted my photos from Roan Mountain and nearby Grandfather Mountain here:
http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/rjhall/

Thanks again to all who recommended these birding sites - I hope to
get back here again soon!

Richard Hall
Athens GA