[Bristol-Birds] Fw: Re: Yellow-rumped Warblers nesting in Smokies

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 20:31:48 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Kneidel
To: Legrand, Harry
Cc: carolinabirds@xxxxxxxx
Sent: July 08, 2010 10:57
Subject: Re: Yellow-rumped Warblers nesting in Smokies

Adding to this report of breeding Yellow-rumped Warblers in the mtns... in
early August of 2008 I encountered a similar sight just out of NC in Grayson
County, southwest VA. A family group of YRWA near the top of Massie Gap, in
Grayson Highlands State Park.

Alan Kneidel

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:52 PM, Legrand, Harry <harry.legrand@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  My brother in TN sent me this e-mail, which was only posted to the TN
listserve. Obviously, it has high relevancy to NC birders.
  -----------------------------------
  "July 5, 2010

   I just returned from four days in the high elevations of the Smokies doing
point counts along the Appalachian Trail as part of the MEGA-Transect project.
I heard Yellow-rumped Warblers singing near Clingman's Dome and one on Mt
Guyot, both on the Tennessee side. Plus, I saw an adult feeding a fully fledged
begging juvenile on the NC side at the Tricorner Knob Shelter.
  They were in a Mountain Ash below eye level 20' away. The adult was kept very
busy foraging for her young while also chasing a Black-throated Green Warbler
out of its tree. The Yellow-rumped was noticeably larger. There were also two
other juveniles present and foraging. I saw another adult later, not in the
present of juveniles but never saw two adults at once. The latter was on the
very tip of a 100' red spruce and had its yellow feathers on the side of its
breast fluffed out. It reminded me of a redwing with its epaulettes well
exposed. My wife was off elsewhere with the camera, but I did manage to record
the begging calls of the young. If anyone is interested in it, I will gladly
forward it to you off the list-serve. In addition to this great find, I also
recorded a Magnolia Warbler singing on Mt Guyot, also on the Tennessee side,
but could not prove breeding.

  Tom Howe

  --------------------------------------

  Harry LeGrand
  NC Natural Heritage Program
  DENR Division of Natural Resources Planning and Conservation
  1601 MSC
  Raleigh, NC  27699-1601
  (919) 715-8697 (work)
  e-mail: harry.legrand@xxxxxxxxxx

  Notice: E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law and therefore may be disclosed to third
parties.

--
Alan H. Kneidel
980-254-2706