[Bristol-Birds] Fw: Historiical Great Blue Heron colonies in Bristol Birds Net Region

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:58:10 -0400

From: Bill Cawood
To:Wallace Coffey
Sent: April 27, 2009 01:44
Subject: Re: [Bristol-Birds] Historiical Great Blue Heron colonies in Bristol
Birds Net Region

Mr. Coffey,

I have been tryng to observe the GBH colony near BSG annually since I reported
it 8 years ago.
This year I only saw 3 nests.  Two nests had standing birds in late February.
No nests seem to be active at this time.
I have some anecdotal reports of birds being killed for eating fish in yard
ponds, hit by cars and being found dead by the rivers.
I have seen many birds flying toward the nesting site but I haven't seen any
nest activity since Feb 25.

Bill Cawood
Biology teacher
Powell Valley High School