[Bristol-Birds] Fw: BANDED Loggerhead Shrikes:Observations requested, Christmas Bird Count and throughout the winter

  • From: L Tyler <soaringeaglez@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Bird Club <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:13:26 -0800 (PST)

FYI...

Lisa Tyler

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Dan Bone <dan.bone@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Undisclosed-Recipient@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Jessica Steiner <jessica@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, December 6, 2009 4:41:57 PM
Subject: BANDED Loggerhead Shrikes:Observations requested, Christmas Bird Count
and throughout the winter

Hello Tennessee
Ornithological Society, club officers:
I am a Wildlife Preservation
Canada volunteer and a long time Christmas Bird Count participant.
I obtained your Email from the Tennessee Ornithological Society
website.
Banded Loggerhead Shrike Observations Requested: Christmas Bird Counts and
throughout the winter
It would be a tremendous help to the Eastern Loggerhead Shrike recovery effort
if the Christmas
Bird Counters in  Tennessee would look for and record details
ofany  BANDED Loggerhead Shrikes, and report these sightings to Wildlife
Preservation Canada. Please read the attached document for
comprehensive information.  (Report to Jessica Steiner at
Wildlife Preservation Canada: jessica@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  )
 Could you please forward this Email to the
relevant person(s)?
Much time and effort has been put
into Eastern Loggerhead Shrike research and recovery in  Ontario , Canada .
This is an endangered species
here. We are trying to discover the migration routes and winter
range of these birds.  In addition to colour banding, we have
outfitted 49 of this year's cage-reared young with geolocaters.  These birds
must
be re-captured in order to download the
information.
Results from ongoing genetic and stable
isotope analysis and very limited band recovery data to date have
identified Tennessee as one of several states that support
significant portions of north-eastern migrant shrikes during the winter season.
However, these still represent large areas and further work is needed to
identify the specific locations where Ontario-breeding shrikes spend the
winter.
Please
alert your CBC volunteers to look for any shrikes with leg bands,
particularly a red-over-silver, left leg combination which indicates a
geolocater fitted bird. Again, please read the attached document for
observation and
reporting instructions.
Thank you
in advance for your assistance.
Dan Bone, Wildlife Preservation Canada (volunteer),
705-887-4691, dan.bone@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Fenelon Falls , Ontario ,  Canada
 **********************************
Jessica
Steiner