[Bristol-Birds] Franklin's Gull in north Ga

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:56:34 -0400

I was browsing the TN-Bird list this morning and saw a post by Dean Edwards
from Knoxville that along with the South Polar Skua that's being reported from
north Ga there also is a Franklin's Gull.  Dean suggested that due to the
similarity to the Laughling Gull that we might have called the gull we reported
passing thru upper East Tennessee in mid to late May a Laughling Gull when it
was actually a Franklin's Gull, and the the bird now in north Ga might be the
same bird.  I did not get a real close look at the gull I reported as Laughling
Gull around May 28 from along Netherland Inn Road.  I saw the bird at long
distance and then tried to move closer for a better look.  All I had was a
video camera on a tripod and when I moved closer and started to set the camera
and tripod down the gull flew off rapidly.  I managed to get a bit of poor
quality video.  Here is a link to the video on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28CQdjgQmB8.  Also here is a freeze-frame of the
gull in flight (such as it is).  I still thinkl it was a Laughling Gull.  What
can you guys tell from this video?

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee

JPEG image