[Bristol-Birds] Fort Patrick Henry Dam

  • From: "Mike Sanders" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC Listserve'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 18:13:30 -0500

I decided to go to Fort Patrick Henry Dam in Sullivan Co TN today 02-04-2010
to do a little birding, I birded the tail waters below the dam, and I wasn't
disappointed. The highlights were the Black-crowned Night Heron and Coopers
Hawk I found. Both were very cooperative in having their photos taken. The
heron was in the same spot we found him on the Kingsport CBC (as you go
under the bridge on your left sitting eye level) and the Coopers Hawk was
about 25 yards farther down the road. I almost passed the Coopers Hawk. The
Hawk was sitting in a tree on a fresh kill plucking feathers when I spotted
him. I quickly took a few pics just is case he took off. To my delight he
wasn't the least bit interested in me. I took a few shot from the vehicle
then decided to take a chance, I walked right up under the tree he was in
and fired away. Even after I was finished he just kept on eating. I drove on
down the road and birded along the river. When I came back through he was
still sitting in the same tree. The complete list is below along with a
photo or two both birds.

Mike Sanders

Bristol, VA

Sighting Record Listing - 2/4/2010 - 2/4/2010

Mallard Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 8 = /TA

Great Blue Heron Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 5 = /TA

Black-crowned Night-Heron Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Black Vulture Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 6 = /TA

Turkey Vulture Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Cooper's Hawk Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Ring-billed Gull Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Rock Pigeon Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 10 = /TA

Belted Kingfisher Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 2 = /TA

Hairy Woodpecker Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Tufted Titmouse Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 2 = /TA

Carolina Wren Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 3 = /TA

Ruby-crowned Kinglet Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Northern Mockingbird Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 3 = /TA

Yellow-rumped Warbler Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 3 = /TA

Chipping Sparrow Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 2 = /TA

Song Sparrow Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 7 = /TA

Northern Cardinal Fort Patrick Henry Dam TN US Feb 4, 2010

= 1 = /TA

Printed February 4, 2010 ~ MIKE data set ~ 18 records Page 1

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image