[Bristol-Birds] Re: First Purple Finch of the Season

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:20:31 -0400

> Roger Mayhorn wrote Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:19:37 -0700 (PDT):
> Yellow-rumped Warblers are still to be found here, but they will
> soon move to lower elevations. They never winter here at 2400 feet.
> Are there records of them wintering at this elevation and higher in other
> areas?

Marc Simpson (1992) wrote that the Yellow-rumped Warbler is uncommon to fairly
common in winter at elevations below 4,000 feet in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Dave Worley and I had two bird at 3,100 feet in Burke's Garden of the
Alleghenies, 13 Jan. 2006.  Chris O'Bryan reported the first winter record
known in winter from Shady Valley, TN in the western Blue Ridge at 2,600 feet
26 Nov 2003.  My Christmas count party in Shady Valley had 4 during Jan 2004.
Two were recorded at 2,800 feet in Shady Valley 4 Jan 2005 by Ron Carrico and
Rob Biller.  Another was on the Shady Valley Christmas count 31 Dec 2005 by
Coffey, Andy Jones and John Moyle.

Let's go birding......