[Bristol-Birds] FW: Winter hummingbirds-Allen's and Rufous

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:32:19 -0500

forward message from TN-Birds net:

Hi Folks
Not long ago I was lamenting the lack of wintering hummers but it has changed a
bit lately.  On December 17, I banded a young male Allen's hummingbird in
Mountain City, Johnson Co., TN at the home of John and Marilyn McClellan
423-727-4535.  I talked to Mr. McClellan yesterday morning and the bird is
still coming to the feeder.  He said visitors are welcome but please call to
make sure they are home.  The bird has been present since about October 15,
2007.  The identification was made by in hand measurements of the bird
including the small size, the very narrow width of the outer tail feather and
the shape and narrow width of R2 which is the tail feather outboard of the two
central tail feathers.  I also sent my measurements to Bob Sargent of the
Hummer/Bird Study Group in Clay, AL and he confirmed the identification.  Also
on December 17, I banded two Rufous hummingbirds in Jonesborough, Washington
Co., TN.  It was unusual but both birds were at the same house.  The host had
  two feeders out and the birds would use both feeders and occasionally chase
each other.
Mark Armstrong, Seymour, TN