[Bristol-Birds] Eye to eye with a Peregrine Falcon

  • From: Robert Biller <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:27:08 -0400

Hello TN and VA (and other states) Birders,

Today while driving to ETSU on State of Franklin Road a Peregrine Falcon was
flying against traffic (towards downtown) and must've gone just over my car by
about one foot.

I was crossing Unaka Avenue (on State of Franklin) when the Peregrine buzzed my
car.  I first noticed the bird coming towards me and I knew it was a descent
size bird of prey.  As it continued getting closer and closer, it was coming at
me at what seemed like eye level and it got so close I could easily see it's
facial markings (black head and mustache) as it gracefully used the air riding
against my car to zip by.  The whole thing lasted only about 5 seconds (from
the time I spotted the bird to it going by) but it will live in my memory
forever.

Location: Unaka / State of Franklin Intersection - heading E/NE towards
downtown in Washington County (Johnson City, TN) at 3:45pm.
--
Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN