[Bristol-Birds] European Greenfinch at Claytor lake

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, blueridgebirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, NRVBirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 21:42:11 -0500 (EST)

Greetings,
                   I  have seen several  reports of Evening Grosbeaks
throughout the  region, and my first thought was this was that species, but
after
 closer inspection I realized it was not an Evening Grosbeak but was
smaller, and after more research I found  this is to be a  EUPOEAN GREENFINCH !
This bird visited my feeders many times today! I  contacted 2 Avian Doctors
in the area & they said they were not aware  of any breeders in our area ,
nor have they seen this species in their  offices, and advised me the
probability of this being a wild naturally occurring  species was more likely
than
an escaped bird. I know that this bird has  been bred in captivity in the
United States, but not commonly & the only  report of a naturally occurring spec
ies ever found in North  America was documented in Quebec in April.2012 by
the ABA!
                   After  Hurricane Sandy and the Northeaster that just
came through I believe this to be  a wild bird from Europe!  If there are any
breeders in the area that have  them & have escaped please respond.! This
could very well be the  first American record of this species!.
                     Provided  this bird sticks around, anyone & everyone
is more than welcome to come  and see it !
Just give me a call beforehand at 1-540-731-1730

 Good  Birding                                                     Mark
Mullins                         Pulaski County, Va

JPEG image