[Bristol-Birds] Elizabethton, TN Butterfly Count

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,carolinaleps@xxxxxxxx, valeps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 23:12:16 EDT

     Sunday, August 3, 2003, the Second Annual Elizabethton Butterfly Count
will be held, meeting at 9 am at the Visitor's Center of Sycamore Shoals State
Historic Area in Elizabethton, TN.  We will cover the Park and surrounding
area in the morning, breaking for lunch, and meeting new arrivals during the
lunch hour at the Sycamore Shoals Visitor Center.  At around 1 pm we will
carpool
to Holston Mountain, stopping at various sites as we drive up Panhandle Road
to the top.  If there are enough participants, we may break into smaller groups
to cover other areas.
     Lowland habitats include woodland, riparian zone, and open weedy fields
around Sycamore Shoals, promising a good variety of butterflies.  Holston
Mountain offers pastureland at the bottom and various woodland types with
occasional powerline clearings as we ascend the mountain.  This has been a good
place
to see Diana Fritillaries (and some beautiful wildflower displays).
     If anyone from the area is interested in counting in other places
nearby, our count circle is nearly the same as that used on the Elizabethton
Christmas Bird Count.  Call me if you want to count somewhere different than
the main
group, or if you want to be a "garden watcher" who counts only in their own
backyard.

Don Holt
(423) 926-0865
dnldhlt@xxxxxxx