[Bristol-Birds] Elizabethton Bird Club Aug. field trip

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:04:49 EDT

The Lee and Lois Herndon Chapter of TOS (Elizabethton Bird Club) will have a
field trip to Roan Mtn. Sat., Aug. 16, 2003.  Anyone who wants to join us is
very welcome.  We will meet in Elizabethton at the Food City parking lot
(intersection of Broad Street and Hwy. 19E).  We will leave there at 7 am and
go
directly to Carver's Gap where Rick Knight will be at his banding station.
After
birding the top of the mountain, options include going to Hampton Creek Cove
State Natural Area to meet up with Allan Trently.  Other good sites are
nearby, for instance the Ripshin Lake/Tiger Creek area, should any diehards
wish to
make a long day of it.  Good birds await us in these higher elevations, as
evidenced by recent reports of Red Crossbills, Pine Siskins, Hermit Thrushes,
and
Alder Flycatchers.  Participants should be aware that weather conditions can
change quickly at the higher elevations, so be prepared with raingear and an
extra layer just in case, even if the weather seems fine.  Also, stores and
restaurants are not evenly distributed there.  Bringing along a lunch, or at
least a snack and drink, will give you maximum flexibility. The level of
physical
difficulty of our outing will be low.  Contact me if you have questions.

Don Holt
dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
home (423) 926-0865
work (423) 639-3811